Achieving a Hollywood smile is not a dream anymore. Porcelain veneers are effective treatments that create a perfect, radiant smile. This treatment has become increasingly popular over the years and is now accessible to everyone who wants to improve their smile.
To understand the importance of oral health, our dentist in Northwest Albuquerque and the team bring your teeth and smile to their original healthy and aesthetic state through porcelain veneers.
An insight into porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are customized, thin, tooth-colored shells or coverings that are bonded directly to the front surfaces of your teeth. These help alter the shape, size, and color of your teeth. Veneers benefit by concealing dental imperfections like cracks, chips, and stains. They are an ideal choice for improving your smile and have recently become very popular due to their simplicity and versatility.
Clinical application of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are revolutionary restorations that help camouflage the following dental imperfections:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Smaller-than-average teeth
- Diastema (gaps or unwanted space between the teeth)
- Slightly crooked teeth
- Stains that do not improve with teeth whitening
- Misshapen teeth
Reaping the benefits of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are often preferred in cosmetic dentistry due to the following benefits:
- Do not require extensive preparation, thus preserving the natural tooth structure
- Blend easily with your natural teeth
- Are stain-resistant and fracture-resistant
- Dramatically enhance the appearance of your smile
- They are durable, with a lifespan ranging between 10 to 15 years
Porcelain veneers- the procedure involved
Placing customized porcelain veneers requires exceptional technical skills as well as attention to cosmetic details. The procedure is as follows:
During the first visit
- Your dentist will perform dental cleaning before the veneer placement.
- The tooth that requires veneers will be prepared by removing a sufficient amount of enamel such that the veneers can easily fit into the tooth.
- Full-mouth impressions will be recorded and sent to the laboratory to fabricate the veneers according to your tooth measurements.
- Your dentist will select the appropriate shade for the porcelain veneer that matches your natural teeth.
- Meanwhile, a temporary veneer will be placed until you get a permanent one.
During the second visit
- After about 2 weeks, your temporary veneer will be removed, and the tooth surface will be cleaned to remove any residual plaque or bacteria present.
- The tooth will be etched using a dental bonding agent, facilitating a good bond between the veneer and the tooth surface
- Your permanent porcelain veneers will be placed directly on the etched tooth using the appropriate dental cement
Dental veneers are an excellent way to enhance your smile and boost your confidence. However, discuss the pros and cons with your dentist so you can make an informed decision.